​Almshouses & Historic Buildings
  1. Title 1
    Title 1
  2. Title 2
    Title 2
  3. Title 3
    Title 3
  4. Title 4
    Title 4
  5. Title 5
    Title 5
  6. Title 6
    Title 6
  7. Title 7
    Title 7
  8. Title 8
    Title 8
  9. Title 9
    Title 9
  10. Title 10
    Title 10
  11. Title 11
    Title 11
  12. Title 12
    Title 12
  13. Title 14
    Title 14
  14. Title 15
    Title 15
  15. Title 15
    Title 15
‘God was in the Gothic.’ 

Reminiscent of an Oxbridge college, the historic buildings with their distinctive 'barley-twist' chimneys, are set around three sides of the magnificent Quadrangle.

They comprise of the Almshouses, the Clock Tower, St Leonard's Church, the Cloisters and the Warden's Lodge (the Vicarage), together with the old Choir School, the Organist's House and Matron's House.  

Other historic buildings lead off from the Cloister.  
  

The Quadrangle

Click for a tour of
the Quadrangle
To Frederick, 6th Earl Beauchamp, as to all other Tractarians there was only one architectural style;  the romantic and idealized style of Gothic.   'God was in the Gothic'

Stepping into the Quadrangle is stepping into Frederick's Gothic heaven; the perfect union of his unbounded imagination, his Anglo-Catholic principles, his deep spirituality and his Victorian philanthropy.    

Frederick's vision was realised by the architect   Philip Charles Hardwick , who, working closely with the 6th Earl, would create between them something unique.

Clearly, they achieved their aim, as Pevsner in his famous guide considers the Beauchamp Almshouses to be amongst the finest in  Engand.
Cl


St Leonard's Church

The Anglo-Catholic church of St Leonard's was consecrated in 1864 as the parish church of Newland and the chapel of the Beauchamp Almshouses.

The church's Grade I listed status is due to the magnificent Clayton & Bell frescoes which adorn the entire interior and are considered one of their masterpieces.

C
Click for a guide to
the Church

Choir School

Newland was one of over forty Tractarian choir schools established as a direct result of the Oxford Movement to ensure the highest standards of music in Anglo-Catholic worship. 

Not attached to any cathedral, Tractarian choir boarding schools were founded at various churches, chapels, aristocratic households and uniquely at Newland, to a set of almshouses.  



C
Click for a history of
the Choir School

All Souls' Chapel

All Souls' Chapel, also known as the Cloister Chapel, is the t he chancel of the original 14th century church.

In 1875 it was moved from its postion in the church yard and reconstructed as the Mortuary Chapel and it notable for its medieval oak beams and trusses.   The windows are by Clayton & Bell on themes of Death and Resurrection.

The chapel was re-furbished and re-ordered in 1982 for the celebration of daily weekday Masses.  

 
  1. The original wooden parish church
    The original wooden parish church
  2. Mortuary Chapel of All Souls' : 1930s
    Mortuary Chapel of All Souls'  :  1930s
  3. Madonna & Child
    Madonna & Child
  4. Maunday Thursday : 2016
    Maunday Thursday : 2016
  5. Maundy Thursday : 2015
    Maundy Thursday : 2015
  6. Victorian Funeral Bier
    Victorian Funeral Bier
  7. Medieval Chapel & Theological Library
    Medieval Chapel & Theological Library

Click photo to open slide-show of All Souls' Chapel

Theological Library

  1. Perfect setting for drink party
    Perfect setting for drink party
  2. Multi-tasking of our Altar Servers!
    Multi-tasking of our Altar Servers!
  3. Pre-dinner drinks!
    Pre-dinner drinks!
  4. The Archivist's Desk
    The Archivist's Desk
  5. Theological Library and Medieval Chapel
    Theological Library and Medieval Chapel
The Newland Theological Library and adjacent cloakroom were a gift from the Revd George Cosby White, the second Vicar/Warden.

On his retirement in 1897 he gave the Trustees money to build, furnish and endow the Library together with his own extensive and valuable collection of books on Anglo-Catholic theology, church history and associated subjects.

The architect was C F Whitcombe and the library building was completed in 1910.     


Click photo to open slide-show of  the Library

The Cloister

The Cloister which connects the Warden's Lodge via the Great Hall to the church was a further gift from the Revd George Cosby White and built sometime in the 1880s.

The Newland Theological Library and All Souls' Chapel both lead off from the cloister and the carvings on the double Art Nouveau oak doors which lead into the Quadrangle are particularly fine.   

C
  1. The cloister being used as an exhibition area
    The cloister being used as an exhibition area
  2. Victorian Funeral Beir
    Victorian Funeral Beir
  3. The cloisters shortly after completion
    The cloisters shortly after completion
  4. The Cloister joins the church to the Great Hall
    The Cloister joins the church to the Great Hall

Click photo to open slide-show of the Cloister

Great Hall

  1. Burn's Night
    Burn's Night
  2. Afternoon Tea
    Afternoon Tea
  3. Afternoon Tea for Residents
    Afternoon Tea for Residents
  4. Harvest Lunch
    Harvest Lunch
  5. Residents Christmas Dinner
    Residents Christmas Dinner
  6. Clergy Anniversary Party
    Clergy Anniversary Party
  7. Altar Servers 18th birthday
    Altar Servers 18th birthday
  8. Another Altar Servers 18th birthday!
    Another Altar Servers 18th birthday!
  9. The Great Hall
    The Great Hall
The Great Hall, aka the Boardroom, is the centre of the community and used for social events, entertaining and meetings. 
 
The Hall has a fine hammer-beam roof with heraldic shield bosses and a magnificent stone over-mantle and fireplace, decorated with encaustic tiles of the Beauchamp coat-of-arms.  The marble bust of our founder, John Reginald, the Third Earl, is by Bertolini and was bequeathed by the Countess Catherine.
     
In the place of honour and set into the stone over-mantle is a striking portrait of Frederick, the 6th Earl, who was the driving force behind the building of the almshouses and church.      

C

Click  photo to open slide-show of the Great Hall

Warden's Lodge

The Warden's Lodge was the home to the vicar of St Leonard's parish church, who was also the chaplain and warden of the Beauchamp Almshouses.  This was the first residental building to be completed on-site and the Revd James Skinner, first vicar/warden, moved in with his family and servants in November 1863.

The house ceased to be used as the vicarage in 1965 and was subsequenly converted into three residental flats, a guest suite and the Community office.
T


Cli

C
  1. Building work : 1862
    Building work : 1862
  2. The completed Warden's Lodge
    The completed Warden's Lodge
  3. Warden's Lodge
    Warden's Lodge
  4. Ground floor
    Ground floor
  5. First floor
    First floor
  6. Encaustic Hall Tiles
    Encaustic Hall Tiles

Lychgate & 
Stone Cross  

Click photo to open slide-show of the Warden's Lodge

The rather fine Lychgate was built by W J Hopkins in 1875, using oak from the 14th century church.   (Similar oak was also used to make the Sacristy roof in St Leonard's)
 
The stone cross and column, often mistaken for the war memorial, is however a private memorial designed by Sir Walter Tapper to commemorate Henry Slater and erected shortly after his death in 1909 by his wife, Charlotte Isabel.

Charlotte's name was subsequently added by family memers on her death in 1927, both having been devout anglo-catholics and members of the Newland congregation. 

Their eight year old nephew Gilbert Slater, joined the Newland Choir School in 1895 and is commemorated on the brass War Memorial inside the church having died in the Great War aged 29 years old.

 
  
T


Cli

C
  1. Lychgate from the church
    Lychgate from the church
  2. Cross Plinth
    Cross Plinth
  3. Lychgate and Clock-tower looking from the road
    Lychgate and Clock-tower looking from the road
  4. The Lychgate & Memorial Cross
    The Lychgate & Memorial Cross
  5. Cross looking towards Pindar Court
    Cross looking towards Pindar Court

Click photo to open slide-show of Lychgate & Cross